Saturday, February 20, 2010

Prayer for Andrea

This is my girlfriend Andrea Popkes. Andrea and I have been friends since Junior High. We don't get to see each other all that often because she lives in Capistrano Beach and for the last year she has been living in Australia. But I am begging for you all to be praying for her.

Three weeks ago Andrea found out she has stage 3 breast cancer.
It is unfortunately already into her lymph nodes.
She is starting chemo this coming week and will be doing it for 4 1/2 months.
She will be having a mastectomy in a month or two that will be followed up with radiation.
She is only 31 years old.
And she is a believer in our Gracious Lord.

Since I found out three weeks ago my heart has literally been breaking for her. She has what they call Infiltrating (invasive) Ductal Cancer. The cancer cells are poorly differentiated, meaning they're aggressive and growing too quickly.
I didn't post this earlier because she had a PET-CT scan this week to see if the cancer had spread to any other parts of her body. And Praise be to the Lord it HASN'T. Which is truly a miracle because there was a one in four chance that it had. So I didn't want to post until I knew exactly how far the cancer had spread. So now you know exactly how to pray for her. The coming weeks are going to be extremely rough as she is going to be feeling really sick due to the chemo and she is going to be losing her hair.
Thankfully Andrea is a strong believer and she is completely putting her trust in the Lord. However when I saw her she said "I don't feel like reality has completely set in." Just pray that she stays close to the Lord and leans on Him in the hard weeks that are coming.
When I saw her, her attitude was amazing and she was so joyful even in these scary circumstances.
And I know that joy can only come from our Great God.
Praise the Lord for salvation.
Thank you Lord for saving Andrea.

5 comments:

Phil and Bri said...

Kim-I will definitely be praying for your beautiful friend Andrea. She is so young, I am in shock right now. So thankful for her relationship with our Great God and that she has you as her friend. Please keep us posted.

Kirra said...

Oh Kim that is so heartbreaking. I will be praying for her for sure. For the Lord to keep her faith in Him strong, for Him to comfort her in her darkest moments, and for healing. I love you Kim.

Jamie said...

kim- andrea has been on my heart and mind everyday. i am praying for her to be close to the lord during this time and that he would draw near to her and so many other things too. what an answer to prayer that it did not spread to any other part of her body kim. thank you lord! i feel so attached to her because she is my age and single and your friend. i just think the initial thought is, why lord, she's so young and she's single with so much more life to live? but my (our) hope for andrea is not in the temporal things of this world but in the eternal things of the lord. his plan for andrea's life is greater than anything we can ever dream up for her. his plan is better, it's lasting, it's full of purpose. so lord thank you that through andrea's circumstance today we can learn to trust in you more. i love you kim!

jorden9879 said...

Man what a shocker. My heart just dropped reading that. I will add her to my prayers for sure. I loved the pics of the kids and family. I love the cinderella dress, priceless! So fun having an alumni game. I love Cooper out on the field with Chris, to fun.

The Somerville Four said...

I'm stunned. Praise God Andrea is a believer and is trusting in God's perfect plan. This is so hard for us to understand. I will pray. I will pray. I will pray.

xoxo,
T